In their latest report, Gartner highlights ten strategic technology trends poised to not only disrupt companies but also offer ample opportunities over the upcoming 36 months. These game-changers will affect CIOs and IT leaders globally, as the potential of generative AI and other forms of artificial intelligence unfold. Let’s delve into the trends that could revolutionize businesses in 2024.
1. The Era of Generative AI on the Horizon
Generative AI is set to become democratized through the convergence of massively pre-trained models, cloud computing, and open source. Gartner predicts that by 2026, more than 80%of companies will leverage GenAI APIs and models or deploy_genAI-enabled applications in production environments.
- Massive pre-trained models
- Enhanced cloud computing capabilities
- Open-source collaboration
2. Trust, Risk, and Security Management in AI
With the increasing democratization of AI access, it has become imperative for organizations to focus on AI trust while addressing risk and security management issues. Seizing this opportunity, companies implementing AI-TRiSM controls can expect an increase in decision-making accuracy, eliminating up to 80% of erroneous and unauthorized information by 2026.
Risk Management Priorities:
- Audit trails
- Data privacy regulations compliance
- Transparent algorithms
3. AI-Augmented Development Brings Efficiencies to Software Engineering
The use of technologies like GenAI and machine learning in software engineering shows promise in aiding the design, coding, and testing of applications. AI-enhanced development is poised to enhance developer productivity while meeting increasing demands for sophisticated business operations software.
Benefits of AI-Augmented Development:
- Improved software quality
- Reduced time-to-market
- Better collaboration between developers and data scientists
4. The Emergence of Intelligent Applications in Workforce Management
Intelligent applications learn to adapt appropriately and autonomously, making them an invaluable tool in workforce management. Gartner’s research suggests that AI will be the technology with the most significant impact on industries within three years, with CEOs prioritizing talent acquisition and retention, as well as employee well-being and skill development.
Applications of Intelligent Apps:
- Workplace collaboration tools
- Virtual assistants and chatbots
- Skill-gap analysis and training recommendations
5. Continuous Threat Exposure Management: A Pragmatic Approach to Security
Gartner proposes a systemic approach called Continuous Threat Exposure Management (CTEM) for companies to focus on realigning their security investments towards threat vectors or business projects instead of infrastructure components. Companies adopting CTEM programs can expect a two-thirds reduction in security breaches by 2026.
- Continuous vulnerability assessments
- Prioritization based on threat exposure
- Remediation planning
6. Connecting Homes Raises New Business Opportunities
By 2028, Gartner predicts 15 billion connected devices to behave like customers, with billions more being added every year. As a result, strategic considerations should encompass methods to support these algorithms and devices or capitalize on new “custobots.” With IT usage becoming increasingly circular and sustainable, by 2027, about 25% of CIOs’ salaries will depend on their involvement in sustainable technologies.
Connected Home Market Development:
- Smart home device manufacturing
- Data analytics for consumer preferences
- Infrastructure development for IoT compatibility
7. Platform Engineering Revolutionizes Productivity and User Experience
The goal of platform engineering is to create business value rapidly by optimizing productivity and user experience. Industrial Cloud Platforms (ICPs) are customized cloud offerings tailored for specific industries to meet an organization’s unique needs.
Platform Engineering Advantages:
- Faster application deployment
- Scalable infrastructure
- Improved collaboration within the ecosystem
In conclusion, Gartner’s top ten strategic technology trends for 2024 emphasize significant areas of disruption and opportunity for IT leaders across various industries. From the democratization of generative AI to the rise of intelligent applications and sustainable technologies, businesses must strategically position themselves to embrace these game-changing trends. The future is now!